OPERAnauts envision a world where the transformative power of opera helps individuals and societies recover from violence and poverty.
Who We AreA team of performing artists, artisans, and creative artists – including opera singers, musicians, dancers, photographers, videographers, journalists, and designers. We use creativity as a response to violence to gather together, inspire and give hope to Congolese people so that they may in turn help their own communities. OPERAnauts is upheld by student leaders who promote music as their own reply to violence.
The VisionTo create a sustainable, annual opera music festival in Congo that promotes peace and disrupts the cycle of violence.
How We Create ChangeOPERAnauts’ mission is to bring opera to communities around the world, at the moment, Congo. Our process starts with collaboration with trained performing artists in Congo. Harnessing the talents of performing artists, OPERAnauts empowers in-country individuals to go and share in their communities, to spread their music which brings new focus to war-weary communities, allowing people to learn empathy and resilience and to regain hope.
The GoalTo empower musicians responding to their communities’ needs and to help create a sustainable annual opera music festival.
- Create and support an Artist Residency of opera workshops, lectures and joint rehearsals
- Provide Kinshasa residents and visitors with free, accessible, high-quality programming
- Produce OPERAnauts’ Congo-inspired arrangement of the French opera, Carmen, in a 3,000-seat outdoor venue in Kinshasa
- Develop and test operatic material in the U.S. for international collaboration and audiences
- Test operatic material at international music festivals in developing countries
- Develop and sustain an annual Congolese festival